Workin’ hard for the money

Yesterday was three weeks to the day from my surgery. As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve been feeling good and ready to get on with my life, so I decided it was time to head back to work. It’s the first time I’ve been back since my half-marathon since I took off for Virginia and immediately went on to surgery the day after getting back home.

work job desk view computer stephanie hughes stolen colon ostomy crohns blogAnd so far it has been going OK, but I can definitely tell that I’m not back to 100%. Thankfully, I do have some flexibility with my hours and schedule, so it has made it easier knowing that I don’t have to jump in full force. But at the same time, I have a difficult time taking things easy in the first place. Plus, from a financial standpoint, I’ve been out of work for weeks and could use the hours.

I have made it through the past two days working a typical eight-hour day. I’m glad to work just two miles from my house, so I have the opportunity to go home for about an hour for lunch. That gives me a great opportunity to relax for a few minutes and unplug from the work day. I have noticed that about 2:00 I start getting pretty tired. Even the people I work with say they noticed me getting quiet around that time.

For now I’m basically playing it by ear. I’d like to be able to keep up the full days, but we’ll see if I’m still saying that by the end of the week. I know that I’m not going to be much use after work. The past two days all I have done is stick a frozen meal in the oven and sit on the couch watching TV. Even then, waking up this morning was really hard. I think I hit snooze for about an hour.

I have discovered that these few weeks after surgery can be some of the most difficult. By this point, I feel good and I feel like I should be able to do all of the things that I normally do. But when I try to do so, I find that I tire easily and just don’t have the stamina to do it all. I guess you just don’t realize all of the energy that goes into healing your body. My surgeon told me it would be a four-week recovery, but it would take a few more after that for all of the wounds to heal. So it may be a couple of weeks until I’m much fun again.

Sit down, stay a while. I'd love to hear from you.